Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Never Received a W-2

Have you ever had this happen to you? It is the middle of February and you have not received your W-2 from your employer. Many taxpayers have probably been in that situation, but what if you never receive your W-2? What do you do then?

There are a few required steps you should take if it is past January 31, and you have not received your prior year W-2:
1. Contact your employer to find out about its mailing and verify the address they mailed it to.
2. If you have not received the W-2 by February 14th you are encouraged to call the IRS directly and provide them with the employer’s information, dates of employment, and estimated wage information.
3. You should probably wait until the absolute last minute to file your return, to make sure you will not receive your W-2, but if you have not received your W-2 by the tax filing deadline you should file your personal return as normal, with an additional attachment 4852, or you can ask for a personal extension if you believe the W-2 will be provided to you.
4.  If you receive a W-2 after you file your return, you may have to file an amended return, if the information differs from your previously filed return.

So you do have a few options for taking care of your personal return even if you do not have a W-2 and you do not believe you will receive one for some reason.  

However, if you just lost your W-2, you should be able to ask your employer for an additional copy. They should be able to get you a copy of the original as they are required to maintain certain documents of this type for a long period of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment